By Itumeleng Solar Baloyi / 14 of December 2020
Ever heard of affirmations? This daily pep talk and self-care ritual has become popular in recent years and can have a positive effect on your mental health. But what even is a self-aﬃrmation and why should they be part of your personal wellness practice?
In some African cultures, the question, ‘ungubani?’, or ‘who are you?’, is one that is asked often and I believe that aﬃrmations can help you to find the answer. If you think about it, ‘izithakazelo’, or clan names, have lowkey been the African way of aﬃrming ourselves for generations. Saying or hearing them reminds us who we are and where we come from. In the same way, performing affirmations is to consciously use positive words and phrases that encourage you and help you to cultivate your inner self and highest good.
Did you know that ‘I’ and ‘am’ are the most powerful words that you can start a sentence with? Yes, really! Anything you say after these words come out of your mouth has the potential to be a powerful statement that can alter your energy in a really impactful way.
How to Practise Self-affirmations
There are several ways to practice self-aﬃrming, so you can try them all and find the one that works for you. One technique is mirror work. This requires that you look at yourself in the mirror, take a deep breath, drop your shoulders and proclaim your positive aﬃrmations out loudly.
Another popular method is to stick notes with handwritten aﬃrmations on them in spaces where you spend a lot of time. Or, if you want to get personal, you can even jot them down in a diary or journal. While this might seem like a small, even meaningless, exercise, but it can *literally* help you to rewire and reprogram your brain. The result? More self-acceptance and self-love.
Awesome Affirmations to Try Today
Want to incorporate daily affirmations into your self-care routine? Here are 20 suggestions to get you started.
1. I love and accept all of myself.
2. I am grateful for this moment. I am exactly where I should be.
3. I believe in myself and all my capabilities.
4. I am loved and supported by those around me.
5. I am more than enough as I am and am more than capable of achieving my goals.
6. I am at peace with who I am and who I am becoming.
7. I am loving and kind towards others.
8. I am becoming more confident every day.
9. I am capable of self-awareness when I engage in negative self-talk and can forgive myself with ease.
10. I am brilliant and have brilliant ideas.
11. I am able to forgive myself when I make a mistake.
12. I am able to practice non-reaction when I am triggered.
13. I am able to release negative emotions that do not serve me.
14. I am brave and courageous enough to go after my goals.
15. I am beautiful and I appreciate my body.
16. I am grateful for my physical, mental, emotional and spiritual health.
17. I am able to celebrate all my wins, big or small.
18. I am free to change my mind about things.
19. I am authentic; I am always able to show up as myself.
20. I am able to bring peace and joy to any situation.
These are just starting points, but there are no rules and the more personal your mantras are to you, the better. So tap into yourself and figure out which kind words you need to hear each day to give yourself a positivity boost. Keep shining and keep aﬃrming – you got this, babes!